Loving the weather this week, feels like summer is in full force!
When I decided to go natural with the products I use, I didn’t actually consider toothpaste, colgate had been my friend since day 1 (nearly). After looking deeper into the ingredients, I was shocked, I decided to challenge myself and make the switch.
Bad things in normal toothpaste (brace yourself)
- Sodium floride – Used in both tooth paste AND rat poison (ew)
- Sodium laurel sulfate (SLS) – give the foaming feature to toothpaste, makes you think it is working on your teeth but actually found to be corrosive for skin tissue (arm what?)
- Triclosan – Found in a lot of toothpastes, it is actually a pesticide and found in a lot of detergents
- Hydrated silca – This is used to help whiten teeth but actually eats away at the enamal
- Artificial dyes and colourings – Some of these are synthesised from petroleum, and has been found to influence things such as; headaches, fatigue, nausea, anxiety, lack of concentration and things you toothpaste should never influence!
I wanted to use a recipe that wasn’t too hard to make and not time consuming
- Baking soda (I used Bicarbonate of soda, they are basically the same)
- Coconut Oil (Alternative: Grapeseed Oil)
- Peppermint and thieves essential Oil
- Clean glass jar/tube (what ever you wish to store it in)
Why I liked these products
Coconut Oil – this is good for teeth whitening.
Bicarbonate of soda – also used to whiten teeth.
Peppermint Oil – gives minty taste & fresh breathe.
Thieves Oil – enhances the health of teeth and gums, because it contains antiviral, antiseptic, antibacterial, and anti-infectious essential Oils.
How to make
- Mix 10 drops of the peppermint Oil together with 10 drops of thieves Oil.
- In a separate bowl, mix together 1 Tbs of melted coconut Oil with 4 Tbs of Bicarbonate of soda (to achieve the consistency you want, add more coconut Oil to make it runnier, or bicarbonate of soda to make it thicker).
- Add both mixtures together in the glass jar or tube.
How to use
Use a ‘pea size’ amount and use as you would your normal toothpaste, in your usual routine (mine is morning and evening brushing, with mouth wash)
As you can see from my picture below, my mixture is quite runny, but it will solidify over night and make it easier to measure out how much you want to use.
My thoughts so far
Of course it is going to be an adjustment from my usual toothpaste, the taste is rather bad, with usual toothpaste it tastes sweet, but this doesn’t have the same the same taste, but also doesn’t have the same bad things in it.
I would rather know what is going on my teeth then it taste sweet.
Where to go from here
I’m going to use this tooth paste daily, and in a few weeks let you know how my teeth whitening is going.
Have you ever tried a natural alternative to tooth paste? Why not?